Friday, March 25, 2011

I Am Slow . . .

Please pardon my lack of posting on Molokai as yet . . . I am waiting on my girl to upload the pictures OR to get the lap top free from the kids for the length of time it will take me to do it myself.  Ha ha ha!  But, I can tell you a little about my trip and then make a second post with pictures later.  It's a long weekend with nothing much else to do . . . but life has funny ways of getting between me and my peeps here.

Y'all know I went to the ER on my husband's birthday.  That turned out some good news:  no heart troubles.  I am still a bit taken back that they didn't pursue and/or treat me for my acid reflux.  They didn't even ask even after I suggested it.  THAT is the wacky government health care y'all will be getting if Obama has his way.  It's sketchy and you have to dig in your heels and keep knocking to get care.  Anyway, before I go into some rant I don't want to get into, I did see my doctor at the clinic yesterday.  I have "classic case" acid reflux.  I will be making friends with "the little purple pill" for the next month.  I hope the Nexium will work wonders so I can keep eating like a maniac and not change a thing I can live a more comfortable life.

So between those days, I went to Molokai.  My favourite parts?  Getting to know some of the people I go to Mass with better, for a start.  Call me weird, but flying in a ten-seater twin engine plane over the ocean for 25 minutes (one way) twice was really exhilarating!  It's been mighty windy in Hawaii lately so that plane did some interesting rocking and rolling, but it was incredible.  It was fun to see Hawaii from the air during the day.  I liked walking where St. Damien (and all those beautiful, afflicted souls walked).  It was wondrous to see the highest cliffs in the world (pali).  We also had Mass in St. Philomena's, the church Father Damien helped build.  The museum/bookstore was small (I got a book by a nun based on her letters - a very nice book, in fact, and I stamped it with the store stamp so I'll never forget where I got it and when).  It was interesting to see the modified forks, knives, spoons, and clothing modifications made by patients to adapt to their new handicaps. 

The drawbacks are this:  I had to bring my own lunch (not a huge deal, but c'mon), our bus died so we had to eat on the ground outside the church (and not at the picnic tables down by the beach where the patients were dumped in the water - a disappointment to the nine of us that were left up by the bus).  The other bus came to get us and drove us back to the airport where we had to stay put.  It's the size of a double car garage --- and we had to stay there almost two hours to await our plane back.  They rushed us to get on the bus (interrupting our picnic lunch) just to sit there at the airport!  We also did not get the "fly over the Arizona/Missouri/Pearl Harbor" that was touted in the company brochure.

Overall, though, I am deeply moved and appreciate having been on this trip.  I have seen the island when it still has patients living there (though, I did not see any to my knowledge).  It will be quite different after the last patient moves away or death finally meets them.  It's a state park - and will likely be very different (and more open, less restrictive to visitors roaming about) then.

Okay, so pictures next - when I can manage it.

ADDENDUM:  I am busy this day (Saturday) puttering w/ projects long neglected . . . (for shame and embarrassment, I'll just say:  remember the digital picture frames for my MIL and the one for my parents for Christmas????  Ahem.  Ahem.  Anyway, my MIL's is ready, my parents almost loaded).  I'm doing some laundry, the spaghetti sauce is cooking down, and I managed to clean and organize my desk as well as clean and organize the huge "island" counter space in the kitchen.  I may get to the 1/2 bath today, but bathrooms are slated to be cleaned on Monday.  However, some of the time when I slate things for another day, I think I may as well do it now since I've the energy and/or time.  So, before the weekend is out, I may have at least that bathroom done.  The idea of having less to do on Monday is so appealing.

About the Molokai pictures.  They are loaded on the lap top and Rachel has "edited" them.  Hmmmm.  Well, she's a good eye for that sort of thing.  I'll pry the lap top from whomever I need to this evening to get that loaded here.  Again, thanks for your patience (not that anyone has read this post in the first 24 hours it has been here anyway).  LOL!

No comments: