Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Prayer Is Always Beneficial

I'm in week two of Total Consecration.  I've been doing this since 2006.  It has changed my life from the onset.  Every year, as I spiritually travel the road to renewal, I encounter something new to work on so that I can better be a disciple of Christ.  Mary is a tremendous help in that regard.  Totus Tuus!

I am one Rosary shy of completing a promised Spiritual Bouquet for a friend's husband currently in formation to becoming a Deacon.  In saying that, I am admitting that I haven't been praying the Rosary daily . . . oops!  Even I fall off that wagon now and again.  If I hadn't gone off from the daily Rosary, I would have completed those promised ones ages ago.  But, I know in my heart that it's okay.  Good things cannot be rushed.  I prayed these Rosaries in earnest - and included many of your private/open intentions right along with them.  In no way am I sharing this to garner thanks.  It is our duty as Christians to pray for one another!  I'm so glad that God has placed this urgency on my heart!  I know so many who struggle with rote prayer let alone just openly chatting God up.  He likes both!  He likes your attention!  Just keep praying - even if you say absolutely nothing, but just BE in His Presence.  Oh, He loves that!!!

This morning the Rosary was intense.  I cannot explain it other than it was effortless to recall each person . . . as I prayed their/your faces were clear as day in my mind's eye and what they/you needed, too!  This has never ever happened to me.  Ever.  It was also one of the most un-rushed, peaceful prayer times I've had in a long time.  I love it when He allows me to "feel" (and this is so unreliable and feeble in many cases) that I'm doing His Will.  Not pridefully boasting that I know exactly what He wants and that I'm doing it, but that inner knowledge only He can impart that He is nudging me to know I am doing just as He Wills.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, when I would force a recall on a particular person, the "sense" wasn't as strong, but when I allowed the Holy Spirit free reign, the prayer would deepen in a way I cannot put adequate words to.  The difference, I think, is that between the two, I got the sense that those the Holy Spirit invoked needed prayer more so (I felt almost like I was outside of myself seeing these people).  Whereas, for example, I asked God to help Rachel (who is home w/ a stomach bug today) it was more of a request, like, "here is the need" and immediately the Holy Spirit would move me on to a person in real need (if that can honestly make any sense), like, a few of my friends mother's who are ailing something fierce (hospitalizations and surgeries kind of stuff).  I have a friend who's mother is having a very hard time of it right now and when I saw her face, I could see all her troubles (even some I'm sure was never shared with me by her daughter) . . . and this mom, in particular, held through at least two Hail Mary's; very deep and I felt warm all over.

Does anyone else experience prayer like this?  Please let me know.  It is so hard to explain it.  But I wanted to share with you how wonderful and good it is to pray - and allow the Holy Spirit to lead you.

"Let go and let God" has a new meaning to me today.  I pray this for each of you.

5 comments:

Christine said...

My whole afternoon today was in prayer. My toddler would not go down to take her nap. I had to hold her and could get nothing done. My frustration level could have been huge...but through prayer God saw me through it and she finally took her nap.

The Holy Spirit keeps me grounded.

Thanks for praying for me...if you do.

Barbara said...

It's a beautiful thing when prayer comes easy. So often, it doesn't...in our distracting world. When I was making my consecration prayer did come easier, but I also felt the spiritual attacks that were bound to come when drawing myself closer to the Blessed Mother.

Mary N. said...

Yes! Yes! It's called the gift of intercessory prayer and it is Spirit led instead of self led and it is a beautiful experience! Thanks for sharing this with us :) We all can intercede for one another at any time of course but the charism of intercessory prayer has added oomph because the Holy Spirit is leading. Sometimes I experience God's love and mercy for the other person when praying this way. It's incredible! I wrote about this gift on my blog a while back. Don't ask me where though - I have so much buried in my archives that I can't find a thing and the search button is broken.

Anonymous said...

Well, dagburnit, you are a lucky girl, kiddo!

Say one for me, eh? ;-)

Sarah Oldham said...

Well, it's nice to have this all back up, but c'mon, Blogger "lost" the comments? Oh, well. I can't be that prideful. Mistakes happen. And, maybe the comments will be found and put back to rights.