Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend

Here's what I've begun:



I borrowed the book from my friend.  I'm reading it and applying a few principles for the time being (as I make my way through the text):  daily 30 minute walk and stretching three times a day.  Each week (of the six) I will incorporate a new routine (dietary and/or exercise), which is part of the plan - slow integration.  In theory it should work for me.  I like how she carefully and frequently reminds the reader that building muscle you may remain the same weight, but you will drop "sizes".  I love that!!!  I'm more focused on health and endurance.  I don't care if I don't drop a single pound, but if I'm exchanging fat for muscle, this program is worth it.  I also know in the process, losing a few clothing sizes will be rewarding!  I did DA's 'walk' dvd yesterday.  I made it 13 out of 15 minutes.  My hips were fried . . . that's not walking (the label says "easy" - sure, for those who walk like maniacs).  I'm swinging my arms all over the place (not gracefully either) and marching right then left.  I must kick now this leg then the other.  Did I mention I am not a fan of aerobics?  It's because I am not coordinated.  I easily become part of the floor because I quickly bump into furniture or trip on the dog who likely thinks I'm in distress.  Well, I am in distress, damn it!  It is very distressing to coordinate with the video when you're an uncoordinated person.  I did get an excellent workout - and I laughed at my efforts the whole time.  However at minute 13 I could not move my hips any more.  The burning was unbelievable.  It's going to be a brilliant work out!

The weather in HI is really wet.  The forecast is for chances of rain all weekend.  I wanted to go to the Falls, but we may have to put that off for another day when it will be sunny!  That's alright.  We'll still go down to Puka Dog and eat.

My plans are to dig out the laundry room.  Apparently we have some of these birds building a nest in our dryer vent.



It's a common myna bird.  They are scavengers really, kind of like mainland crows.  They do have beautiful song, though.  They are everywhere so I don't need them in my dryer vent.  Anyway, the maintenance folks will have to come out on Wednesday to chase them out and place a screen over the vent so they can't come back.  I'm pretty certain they'll need to come in and into my laundry room to clear the vent going out of the house.  In fact, I'll insist upon their doing so.  Can you imagine if they just place the screen and accidentally trap the things in there?  I'd be smelling something foul shortly.

Wishing you all a beautiful and blessed Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Hmmmmm....might have to try that workout!

I laughed so hard reading how your first workout went!!

Great job for trying, keep it up!!

Happy Mother's day my friend!

Mary N. said...

I'm not exactly graceful either, Sarah, and I hate aerobics :) Denise Austin's book sounds interesting and I could certainly use a regular exercise plan.

What is it with dogs and exercise? I won't even tell you what mine does the minute I start exercising! It's disgusting!

Happy Mother's Day, Sarah!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Happy Mother's Day! I need to get going on exercise too. Good for you for getting started.

Christine said...

so funny...snort!

Happy Mother's Day to you also.

Hope your hips hang in there!