Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On Dental Visits

This morning, I went with Dan to the DMV to get our van re-registered (he had decided to inform me of this last night with those lovely words, "I hope you haven't anything else planned" . . . oh, boy!).  We were in line for about an hour . . . for a two minute exchange.  I kid you not.  But, it was so pleasant.  I met an elderly woman who was a wonderful conversationalist.  I love that she said she's been married 54 years and that she is so grateful to have at least one grandchild.  She is proud to be of Japanese heritage, but she boldly and proudly exclaimed, "I am an AMERICAN."  We did have a most memorable chat.

I got home, loaded Rachel into the newly tagged van, and drove without incident to Kapolei for our annual dental cleanings.  I had the boys in a few weeks ago, and Connor had one cavity (for him, that is excellent, as he has weak enamel).  Rachel and I had zero cavities ourselves.  I even had the fluoride treatment.  Blech!  But, now they have it on your teeth for only one minute.  Much easier and less of a nasty taste going on than before.  I've convinced my children to have it done at their next cleaning.   I have done my momma dental duties by example.

Okay, the hygienist basically gave me the "be an example" speech.  I'm 41-years-old.  C'mon!    She is just doing her job, as she reminded me.  And, actually, I'm glad she had the audacity to tell me like it is.  It's refreshing to have a professional actually say, "I'm trying to help you here, and  you are flat-out making my job impossible."  You have to keep your gum and teeth healthy, and, since I agree with that statement, I better start living it more to the letter, thereby being a better example to my children.

Smile!

No comments: