Saturday, November 5, 2011

Giving Up

It is so hard to do.  Right?

But, I have.  I turned in the plastic and am going by cash only.  This is difficult, because I have to re-orient my thinking about money.  I can't just randomly purchase stuff any longer, because I have to keep cash at the ready for groceries and other necessities.  I have only so much and I have to make it work.  My husband does make enough money to live on - and have a few extras!  I'm so very grateful for that fact.

I have had idle hands of late, and, that is the root cause of another one of my sins.  This isn't the confessional so I'll keep much of that between me and God.  *smile*   I have to keep myself busy and my mind occupied on tasks that keep me busy.  So, I've gone off the Target and bought a utility shelf . . . so that the stuff under the stairs can be gone through, sorted, and shelved in the garage.  Which means the garage is also slowly going through another re-birth, as it were.  *smile*  These two areas of my home have bothered me the most, outside of my own bedroom (which is just down to the filing - again!).  But, progress is taking place!  Organizing my home/life makes me happy, or, let us say more balanced and peaceful.  I am more restful the more this stuff is organized.  The chaos makes me cringe. 

Another way I will stay busy is finishing (and, starting and finishing) all the stitching kits/projects I have on hand.  I bought that magnifying lamp for the very reason of being able to stitch at night (which was difficult do do under the lighting we have).  Also, the same goes for all the books I have purchased (when I walk by them, unread as they are, I feel a pinch in my conscience . . . ).  I'm going to decide to read them, one at a time . . . and, if I think they are not going to keep me interested, I'll donate them before I even start.  It's time to be real about all this stuff.

I have piles of books that I know I will never read again . . . so I am gathering them together to take to the book exchange (for cash; what doesn't sell, I'll donate).  The Catholic ones are going to the MCCW ladies - they can take what they like.  If they "feel bad" about it, I'll say "give me a dollar per book" and then give the money to the chapel for the childcare.  This is about letting go.  Also, I've always believed that a donation or giving things away is precisely that - letting go.  No expectations.

I am able to make headway with these projects because I'm keeping myself busy in the determination to be free of things . . . which do separate me from God.  So, whilst I shed things, I pray I gain God, Who is, after all, the Greatest Gift of them all.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

A girl after my own heart! I don't know about your house, but in mine...the stuff (books, undone projects and things I'll "use later")a very fruitful...and multiply!
I have a thing for books...and magazine. Mostly of the cooking variety....which might explain why I'm overweight...but I digress.
Is there a patron saint of organizaton! I will pray for his/her intercession!!
<3

Larry Denninger said...

Detachment is a gift from God. Looks like you're headed in the right direction, Sarah. So...care to come over to my clutter-nest once you're done with yours? ;-)

Suzanne said...

Doing the same..!!! Thanks for letting me go on a "diet" with you...I need the same kind of support with this as I do with staying away from extra food..I also need a "diet" away from some restaurants, which I have been doing better until this past week. Confession is in order if for no other reason than to just give me more grace to stay stronger. Love this!

Suzie L. said...

I have the same 'book' issue. I really want to read, but the time to do it has been lacking. Hopefully winter (that's a better time for indoor activities in ND) will give me some of that time.

I've enjoyed your latest posts on sacrifice and cash (been considering it myself - Dave Ramsey!).

Christine said...

I am still nursing...crazy baby! So when I sit down and nurse I read. I look forward to those moments because I would blow reading off.

I am a library kind of gal.

I have been purging for the last 2 years. Getting rid of a lot of stuff. Feels good. Trying to really travel light through life. Although hard with 5 kids. Their projects, extra stuff here and there...gets all over!

Good luck with it all Sarah-skee! I know we will meet someday and gab gab gab the gob!